This is an important question to consider and the answer should be given in a proper manner because of its importance. First of all, there is need of understanding the notion of ethical hacking that will suggest what ethical hacking is all about. As far as ethical hacking is concerned, it is the phenomenon which is carried out for the purpose of enhancing the security of any organization’s systems and process in a desired manner. During this process, hacking tools are also used in order to make the procedure of ethical hacking more effective and result oriented.
There are different kinds of classes that should be taken into consideration as hackers belong to various categories based on their skills and expertise. Therefore, considering the above aspects of hacking, following are the types of hackers which are mentioned as follows:
- Black Hats: These people do have amazing computing skills that help them in becoming effective crackers as well.
- White Hats: These persons are assumed as security analysts because they possess strong defensive skills.
- Gray Hats: These people could work both as offensive and defensive in different situations because it depends on the requirements.
- Suicide Hackers These are very different and at the same time difficult kinds of person who are not bothered by any risk or threat as their main focus remains on achieving the target at any cost.
- Script Kiddies: These are unprofessional hackers who use tools and other resources that are already provided by trained hackers.
- Spy Hackers: These people are well paid and often involved in expiring trade secrets of the other organizations.
- Cyber TerroristsThese people have different sorts of religious and political objectives as they try to hack information of other people over the internet.
- State Sponsored Hackers: These people work on government levels in order to gather and disclose secrets of other country ‘s government and are often found in destabilizing the government of other countries.
Stages of Hacking
The stages of hacking are also significant when it comes to analyzing the impacts and consequences of hacking because through the help of stages, the process of hacking becomes easy to understand.
The stages of hacking are provided as below:
- Reconnaissance It is the preparatory stage in which attacker or hacker tries to collect sensitive data so that target could be focused.
- Scanning This stage is composed of three sub stages in which pre-attack stage, port scanner and extract information as well.
- Gaining Access In this phase, hackers get information and access to operating systems or application on computer and network.
- Maintaining Access In this stage attacker does try in order to sustain the ownership of the system
- Clearing Tracks It is the last step in hacking that suggests there are three more sub steps included and these are hiding, intentions, and overwriting. In this way, attackers make sure that their identity should not be disclosed at any cost.
Importance of Ethical Hacking
In this contemporary age where security threats and risks are increasing day by day and as a result it has become vulnerable and most burning aspect of today’s scenario. Therefore, the significance of ethical hacking becomes more prominent as the objective of ethical hacking is to prevent attackers from accessing sensitive information. The other goal of ethical hacking is to make sure the security of national assets and information and at the same time terrorism could also be tackled through ethical hacking. The other objectives are restricting hackers to enter in the security systems of organizations.
- Ethical Hacking Module 2: Footprinting and Reconnaissance
- Ethical Hacking Module 3: Scanning Network
In a nutshell, ethical hacking has become most desirable and necessary phenomenon for the purpose of improving the security of sensitive information and processes of any organization.